Saturday, February 25, 2012

Assembly name for SSIS built-in UITypeEditors?

I have a custom PipelineComponent that accepts a string of SQL. I don't have a custom UI, all I need is the Advanced Editor. Currently the SQL property is just the standard line of text that can be entered on the Advanced Editor. I would like to use the popup multi-line editor that the built-in components use for editing SQL. I was hoping it was the System.ComponentModel.Design.MultilineStringEditor but that is definitely not it (and that one is insufficient for entering more than a few lines of SQL). I'm assuming it must be a UITypeEditor that was shipped as part of SQL 2005, but I haven't been able to track down the qualified assembly name for it anywhere. I tried debugging in VS to get down to a IDTSCustomProperty90 that I could look at the UITypeEditor on, but no such like. I also tried using Reflector to see if I could dig up a string, but no luck there either as the pipeline components don't seem to have managed assemblies (I could've just missed them) and the control tasks (which happen to use the UITypeEditor I'm looking for too) seem to only be thin wrappers around COM interfaces. I scoured BOL and the WWW in general for a list of these assembly names, but looks like they're not out there either. Has anyone tried to find these before? Am I barking up the wrong tree, should I not be able to use these editors for copyright reasons?Using undocumented stuff like that could get messy, but most importantly for me I think most of the editors are rather poor. Simple things like support for Ctrl+A to select all text are missing. For what you want I would write my own, not too hard and you can make it much more user friendly. Not the answer you wanted I suspect, but really I think it would be probably faster and certainly better to write your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment