Friday, February 24, 2012

ASPNETDB

In response to a problem I have, my web hosting company asked me to rename aspnetdb.mdf. When I ask why, I was given this response

...it is because SQLexpless is developed for single database. If there is a same db name in the server, it cannot attach to the server. In order to prevent conflict, so that you need to change the SQLexpress's dbname into others to prevent conflict with others db name...

Does this make sense?

I think there is some confusion here in terminology.

You should store data for your application database, with a name for you, you should not store your tables, views, sp etc in the aspnetdb database, I believe that Db is reserved for use by ASP.Net itself, hence there is only one per server. SQL Express can host ltos of DBs but only one of each name.

No comments:

Post a Comment