Friday, February 24, 2012

aspnetdb is on a "network path that is not supported for database files"

I have two, probably related, problems:

I have a very simple site. It will be used on the local intranet only. I want to use the windows authentication so users do not have to log on. The aspnetdb has been created using the configuration tool. If I use Server Explorer in vs to work on the site on my local machine, I can open aspnetdb, look at its tables, etc. If I use Server Explorer in vs to work on the site on the server, aspnetdb will not open and gives this error message:

..."network path that is not supported for database files"...

Other sites on the same server give the same message, but the sites work. I think this is because they can read the file but not write it; but that is a guess. We have tried everything; my head is ready to explode. We are using SQLServerExpress. It resides on the server's C drive (as does our data database). The web site, and hence the aspnetdb are on the F: drive of the same machine. Does SQLServerExpress treat the F: drive as a UNC drive? If so, are we in deep doo doo? I'm at a loss.

As far as logging in: If I debug from vs, the login works beautifully both on my local machine and running from the server using vs. Login does not work when accessing the site from iexplorer. Mystified by that one, too. I tried to implement profiles and they crash, too; that led me to consider a write problem.

Don't know what to do; any help is appreciated.

This is a common connection exception, which may be misleading in some cases. You may take a look at this article:

http://www.aspspider.net/resources/Resource170.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment