Sunday, February 19, 2012

ASPNET as db owner

Using Management Studio in SS 2005 on XP when I'm adding a user to a
database and I browse for objects (logins) I see MACHINENAME\ASPNET as a
choice and I am allowed to make ASPNET a user.
But in Server2003, MACHINENAME\ASPNET does not show up as a user.
Why? Can't aspnet be a user on server2003?
--
Regards,
Gary BlakelyHello
Yes, I think you can't use machine\aspnet in windows 2003. And you may not
need it. aspnet process may run as network-services account, anonymous, or
something another according to your environment. It depends on that the
connection is remote or not, and the existence of active directory.
Why not first check the asp.net process's account executing arbitrary
asp.net file on your server? If you know it, you can grant the account. Or
alternatively you can impersonate the asp.net process first and grant the
impersonated account.
"GaryDean" <GaryDean@.newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
news:ep3vihSMHHA.4928@.TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Using Management Studio in SS 2005 on XP when I'm adding a user to a
> database and I browse for objects (logins) I see MACHINENAME\ASPNET as a
> choice and I am allowed to make ASPNET a user.
> But in Server2003, MACHINENAME\ASPNET does not show up as a user.
> Why? Can't aspnet be a user on server2003?
> --
> Regards,
> Gary Blakely
>|||Hi Gary,
I know that you could not see MACHINENAME\ASPNET on your Windows Server
2003.
If I have misunderstood, please let me know.
Per my test, ASPNET is still existed as a user on Windows Server 2003.
Please check if the ASP.NET component had been installed on your computer.
In SQL Server Management Studio, I also can add it as a SQL Server login.
I would like to provide some links here for your reference:
How to configure the process identity for the ASPNET account in ASP.NET 1.1
when you use IIS 5 Isolation mode in IIS 6.0 on Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895967/
Process and request identity in ASP.NET
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317012/
FIX: ASP.NET does not work with the default ASPNET account on a domain
controller
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315158
This should be related to IIS. If this issue perstis, it is recommended
that you have a new post at ASP.NET community for wider audience.
Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
======================================================When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
from this issue.
======================================================This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
======================================================|||Hi Gary,
Just check with you to see if you need further assistance on this issue. If
you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.
We are always very glad for further assistance.
Have a good day!
Sincerely yours,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support

No comments:

Post a Comment