Saturday, February 25, 2012

ASPNETDB.mdf Resolved

Hi,

I thought I had this corrected, but in fact don't. According to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms228037.aspx

SQL Express is supposed to automatically generate a copy of ASPNETDB.mdf in the App_Data folder of the Express edition development suites (I'm using Visual Web Developer 2005).

In my case, it doesn't, and I can't figure out how to trigger it manually. I've read every post I can find, especially http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=98346&siteid=1

However, that mainly applies to deploying a database that already exists. I have already tried deleting the files as suggested and they do reappear in the appropriate folder, but I'm still not getting the ASPNETDB.mdf file in my apps.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I've had a post up on the Visual Web Developer forum, but folk are staying away in droves. Also tried uninstall and reinstall all the way down to IIS 5.1

biobot

You install the database by executing Aspnet_regsql.exe
in your %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\<Your.Net Framework version> folder

You can find installation instructions and other information in the following article:

How To: Use Role Manager in ASP.Net 2.0

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998314.aspx

-Sue

|||

Sue,

Thank you! It took some improvising, but I am now getting the aspnetdb.mdf auto-generating as is should. (There are some differences between the SQLEXPRESS Management Suite and Enterprise Manager, apparently).

I never would have thought to look up how to use Role manager to solve this problem!!?

Also, it is great to get a response in complete, contextually relevant sentences!

Best regards,

Larry

|||Open Visual Web Developer Express (VWD). Open the website in VWD. Click on the 'Website' menu. At the bottom of the website menu is ASP.Net configuration, open it. It opens ‘Asp.Net Website Administration Tool’. Under the 'Security' tab add a user.

Done; ASPNETDB.mdf is up and configured for your website|||Doesn't work in a shared environment

No comments:

Post a Comment